Your neck consists of vertebrae that extend from your upper torso to your skull. The cervical discs are designed to absorb the shock between the bones and the ligaments, muscles and bones help to support you head as well as allow for motion. Any inflammation, abnormalities or injury can cause stiffness and/or neck and shoulder blade pain. In most situations, shoulder and neck pain aren’t serious and can be relieved in a few days. The intensity of pain in shoulder blade and neck can vary from mild to severe. Fortunately, there are ways to get relief from the pain as well as prevent the pain from developing in the first place.
Prevention of Shoulder Joint Pain
Prevention is the key to preventing a chronic shoulder pain diagnosis. There are several ways to reduce your risk of pain between your shoulder blades, including:
- Sleeping on a proper pillow, which will allow your muscles to relax and prevent your pain.
- Watch your posture when sitting a desk and staring a computer for long periods at a time.
- Shoulder pain exercises will help prevent your pain as well as reduce pain you do have. A quick and simple exercise is to gently roll your shoulders forward then backward, several times throughout the day.
How to Relieve Neck Pain
If you are looking for ways on how to relieve a stiff neck or relieve the pain between shoulder blades and you aren’t sure about the condition of your general health, it is important to first consult with your doctor to ensure you are healthy enough for exercise. Here are few mild exercises you can do to relieve neck pain:
- Head turn-while standing up straight with your legs even with your hips and your hands on your waist, bend your head forward until your chin touches your chest. Move your chin to the right and then to the left, before bringing it back up. Repeat this 5-6 times.
- Shoulder raise-stand up straight, keep your legs level with your hips and your arms extended by your side. Raise your shoulders and hold this position for about 10 seconds, then release. Repeat 5-6 times.
- Arm lift-while standing straight and legs at hip level, raise your arms until they are parallel to the ground, then bring them down to your sides. Repeat this exercise 5-10 times.
- Neck extension- to relieve neck pain, stand up straight and bring your right arm over your head. Lay your right palm next to the ear on the left, then gently pull your head toward your right shoulder. Stretch as far as you are able, hold for 30 seconds and then repeat on the other side. Do this 5 times on each side.
Remember the most effective treatment for you neck and shoulder pain is prevention, so it is important to find the root of what’s causing your stress and muscle pain. Whether it is poor posture or repetitive movements, make all efforts to correct the problem before you shoulder pain diagnosis